RE: [oletrucks] Carb Leak

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <MKlepp4335@cs.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Carb Leak
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <oletwuk@fastrus.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:37:03 -0500
Two options (Two that I'm aware of...)

  First, return it and get a replacement.  FLAPS generally have "much"
experience with this on rebuilds... and it shouldn't be difficult.

  Second, the Heli-Coil "should" have been installed using sealant
initially.  I know of no adequate way to seal the O.D. threads of the Coil
once it has been installed.  You'll need to remove the existing Heli-Coil
and trash it.  Clean the threads in the carb body and apply a light coating
of sealant (Heavy emphasis on "light").  Then apply a light coating of
sealant on the O.D. threads of the Heli-Coil, and allow both to just begin
to set-up prior to installing the new Heli-Coil in the carb body.  Your
local FLAPS should have both Heli-Coil Kits of the correct size, and
recommendations on a good sealant.  Once installed, carefully wipe any
excess sealant from the inside threads of the Heli-Coil, and ensure you
allow ample time for the sealant to cure prior to installing your fuel line
fitting and shoving some fuel in there.  I've found that my trusty Pistol
Cleaning Rod and "Lint Free" patches allow me to remove excess sealant
without too much fuss.  *Note: When you break off the tip on the new
Heli-Coil, ensure that you fish that sucker out of there!  Removing the top
of the carb for access to ensure you get no debris in the bowl is a "Very
Good" idea.

Kevin P.
'59 Apache 38/NAPCO
http://www.mawhobbi.com/napco