[oletrucks] Great Suburban TF day at Leon's in VA...sliding glass option

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Great Suburban TF day at Leon's in VA...sliding glass option found!
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 22:32:49 EST
    I took the day off to commune with nature(ally) rusting old autos and
trucks at Leon's salvage yard near Culpeper, VA. With the leaves off the
trees, it's alot easier to find the old tin laying around! I located a '58-9
Chevy sub down in an area I'd not noticed before, and while eyeballing it,
noticed something...it had sliding glass!!! Woo-hoo! I've never found that
option before, and don't remember in all my 20 years of visiting Leon's of
seeing this Suburban. Of course, he has over 100 ACRES of old classic cars
and trucks from the 40's on up to the '70s. Lots of p/u's and panels of all
years. Someone had already gotten the front set of sliding windows, so I
started disassembling the rear set. The bottom frame was rusted on one track
badly, on both sides, but I think they can be fabricated without costing big
bucks. Also, the 'burb had a tailgate option, not the doors. The tailgate was
slam rusted OUT, but the upper window piece looked pretty good. I passed on
it. I also visited a 3100 up further, and got a very decent original 6-lug
rim with the little hubcap tabs for $30, it was rusted / pitted some on the
inside, but the outside looked great ( for being 45 years old ). It should
clean up and paint very nicely. Got the sliding glass pieces for $30 as well.
If you want to call him to find out what he has, it's (540) 547-2366, he's
open half-days Saturday, 8:30-3:30 pm weekdays. I took some pictures with a
one-shot camera of quite a few panels and p/us, some GMC models as well, as
well as Gremlins, Ramblers, and other AMCs ( my OTHER addiction, LOL! ).
Anyway, I'm beat, hauling 80 lbs of parts and tools up some steep hills took
their toll on my 40-year old overweight body, I need to hit the sack! But I
feel good, I need to get back on my 'Burb project, it's been sitting now for
8 years with no progress, once I get all my unwanted project cars gone this
winter, it'll move up to my "new" home, and I can start playing with it
again. I'll be making it a priority to do so. Well, that's all for now, when
I get the Pics developed, I'll scan them and make them available to anyone
who wants to see trees growing thru GMC engine bays. LOL! G'nite, folks.

Jerry Casper
'55 TF Suburban