[oletrucks] TF suburban sliding windows

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] TF suburban sliding windows
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:13:55 -0700
Hi....

All the TF Suburbans I've seen (and the two I have here) came
with sliding rear side windows.

I have owned a couple mid 60s Suburbans with solid (non-sliding)
rear side windows, but they did not come with all the seats
originally...my guess is that if there was a seat, then the
window would slide open.

I'm making the side windows in my 57 Suburban stationary...3
reasons:  1.  It's gonna be modified quite a bit anyways (big
block, subframe, etc).  2.  The window frames were pretty rusty,
as most are...and I have an Arizona truck!  3.  I'll have AC and
not need to open the side windows.

I wonder if the ones you've see with non-sliders were either
converted panel trucks, or else had the windows replaced because
the sliding tracks all rusted out?  I don't recall seeing
anything about optional sliders in the assy manual or Chevy info
pack.  Of course, strange things happened on the assembly line
(and even stranger things happen to ole trucks when subject to
40 or 50 years of tinkering!).

Jim Forbes
59s in AZ (and a 57 Suburban too, patiently waiting me to get
going on it again)