[oletrucks] Steering Wheel

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering Wheel
From: Barry Heigher <bheigher@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:05:42 -0800 (PST)
Not good thing -- sorry for the false message.  What I
wanted to talk about was the refinishing of the
steering wheel in my '47.  The wheel is a metal frame
covered with a hard rubber.  Mine was cracked and sun
crazed in a bunch of places plus it had small chunks
missing.  Here is what I have done so far. Cleaned the
entire thing with a soft wire brush mounted in a drill
motor. Then I routed out all of the cracks using a
high speed cutter in a Dremel tool. Next I used J B
Weld as a filler material in the routed out areas.
Seems to work great.  J B Weld when dry sands easily
and blends well with the old material. Once covered I
don't think it will be noticeable. After the shaping
is done with power tools hand sanding with
increasingly finer grit paper makes for a pretty
sight.

The wheel did have a textured surface which I sanded
off.  I couldn't see anyway to match that texture with
the newly filled areas. The old rubber coating sands
very easily so if you use power tools be careful not
to gouge it.

Now for a question.  What have you guys found to be a
good material for a final coat?  I know Eastwood sells
some spendy stuff.  Being basically cheap. I am
looking for something less expensive but still
durable.

If it soundsl like my truck might be almost driveable
because I am working on the steering wheel--not so!  I
just needed a break from blastin, scraping, sanding,
cleaning and primering the frame.

Barry

http://calendar.yahoo.com/