RE: [oletrucks] 235 cam and manifold

To: "'Oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <Oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 235 cam and manifold
From: Hargreaves James P IHCO <HargreavesJP@concord.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:06:31 -0800
I have been tinkering with a 235 for some time now.  I am running a Clifford
Performance intake that I think works better than the dual or triple carb
intakes.  With multiple carb intakes (Edmunds, Offenhauser, McGurk) you will
always have a balancing problem between the carbs.  The Clifford works well
with the large two barrel Rochesters or a small (390-410 CFM) four barrel
carb.  No balancing or linkage problems.  The only problem is that the
Clifford does not have the intake counterbored for the alignment rings.  I
recommend adding this feature.  I did it by hand with a low speed die
grinder.  It took a couple of hours, but I feel it was worth it.  (My next
project is to adapt a Chevy Throttle Body Injection - TBI - to the
manifold.)

As for cams go, yes, they help a lot!  I am currently running the hottest
grind that I could find.  I suggest the grind around #235H would be the best
as I have had a little driveability with the #261H grind.  I also converted
the engine to hydraulic lifters, so the grind numbers I just gave have an
'H' for hydraulic.  The solid lifter number might be a little different.
You can find the cams in the Clifford catalog.  The last cam I bought was in
a Sig Erson box, so Clifford farms them out.  Try a local speed shop or
Clifford on the web at http://www.cliffordperformance.com/

Another big stumbling block on these engines is exhaust.  I do not care for
the tube headers, as the have a finite life and tend to warp the mounting
flange after time.  I was lucky to find a pair of Fenton cast iron headers
cheap and they work great.  It is a little difficult to use the stock
mounting pieces.  I had to trim them a little to get a perfect fit.  I've
heard that someone is reproducing them, but that's all I know.  I am very
pleased with the dual exhaust.

If you have to do it in stages, I suggest intake, exhaust, and cam, in that
order.  Remember, when the exhaust and cam are changed, the fuel metering
(jets, rods, etc) in the carb will also have to be changed to a larger size
to avoid a lean miss.

James P. Hargreaves
925.246.2657, DSN 350-2657
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you
nothing. It was here first."
--Mark Twain