Re: [oletrucks] Running Boards

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Running Boards
From: "Michael and Stephany Zaic" <mzaic@athens.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:02:41 -0500
Deve,
Thanks for posting this info.  I've been wondering just how difficult it
would be to weld patches into running boards and have the results look
nice.  The running boards on my GMC 150 are pretty straight, with minimal
rust around the flange that meets the rear fender.  Somewhere along the
way, a PO punched holes in the tops of the "hills" just under both doors
for non-skid footing.  They really spent quite a bit of time doing it too!
All of the holes are evenly spaced along the ridges, and are staggered
ridge to ridge.  They also apparently dropped a punch down into the holes
and bent the lip of the hole to the left. On the next ridge, the lip is
bent to the right.  There is probably 75 to 100 holes per running board.
Quite effective footing!  I'm sure going to get my welding and grinding
practice in on that project.  Please keep us up to date on how yours turn
out.

Michael Zaic
Lawrenceville, GA
----------
> From: Deve Krehbiel <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
> To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
> Subject: [oletrucks] Running Boards
> Date: Friday, December 08, 2000 8:09 PM
>
> snip
>" Its pretty hard to weld the top patch panels in straight due to the
hills
> and valleys. You have to butt weld the panels in so measuring is pretty
> critical, then once they are welded from underneath (after all the braces
> are removed) you then have to weld from the top as well which makes for a
> lot of grinding in those hills and valleys. Patience is pretty important.
> am not completely finished yet with the grinding. I will use a Dremel
Tool