Re: [oletrucks] Pickup Bed Question

To: "Steven R. Moree" <s_moree@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Pickup Bed Question
From: "Jon Kunkel" <jonkunkel@home.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 15:25:28 -0600
Steve,

I have the bed restoration Manual.

It states the #2 cross sill are mounted on each side of the hump in the
frame which is over the rear axle.  It is not secured to the vehicle frame
and is not supported by bed blocks.  It is held in place only by the bolts
going the bed strips.  It is less than 1/2" above the frame.  Under heavy
loads, it can touch the frame to better support the wood planks and the
weight.

The #3 cross sill it is pretty much the same, except on the other side of
the hump.  In 1953 and older it also sits on a pair of 2" bed blocks and has
1/2" holes for the bed to frame bolt to go through.

They #2 and #3 cross sills are not attached to the bed side on 1/2 ton
pickups.

So I assume from reading the book that you have to figure out which punched
holes in your metal strips that they line up with according to the above
information.
If I am not mistaken there are 7 total holes in the metal strips.  If that
is how your strips are you should be able to go to the third hole from the
front edge of the strip and the third hole from the back of the metal strip
and mount your cross sill.  This is how my bed was built.

Jon 50 3104
Chicago burbs