[oletrucks] Progress Report

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Progress Report
From: "BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <ryan_border@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:00:03 -0800
Since the last update (my all-nighter paint job), the work on the truck has
consisted of gathering all the requisite bits to assemble my new chassis.
Quite a while back, I purchased (from a list member) a new (old) frame for
the truck, with a Mustang2 cross-member welded in, and a narrowed rear
section.  This project has been brewing since.  Since the last update, I've
managed to gather:

for the front...
Mustang 2 tubular lower A-arms
OEM Mustang 2 upper A-arms
OEM Mustang 2 uprights/spindles
Complete conversion kit to adapt 11" vented rotors and chevy calipers to
Mustang 2 spindles
Air-Ride air springs for mustang 2
OEM Mustang 2 rack'n'pinion steering rack
Air-ride shocks with mounts

for the back...
2 15X14 Centerline Convo Pro's with 31X18.5 Hoosier Quicktime DOT tires
Jegs fully adjustable ladder bars and ladder bar cross-member
Jegs wishbone track-rod locator
Air-ride pro-street axle bracketry and under-frame air-springs with mounts
Air-ride shocks with mounts

And this weekend's big find:
Ford 9" rear end (out of a lincoln) with large factory disk brakes and
vented rotors; came with U-joints, brakes, sway-bar, shock-mounts, e-brake
cables, etc.

The next big project is to get this rear-end all setup.  I've determined
that with the stock task-force step-side rear fenders and my wheel/tire
combo, that I want the rear narrowed to 44" at the wheel mounting faces.
That's about 10" a side to lop off this diff.  It also has (being out of a
lincoln) a ridiculously high (2.50:1) gear ratio that will need to be
changed (maybe to 3.50 or so).  Who knows, maybe I'll even find a posi
pumpkin to drop in there.   Lastly, the rotors (hats?) need to be re-drilled
from their current 5 on 5" bolt pattern down to 5 on 4.5".

When the differential is done, then it will be time to start putting this
thing all together.  I still have a few more things to gather (motor mount,
dual-master cylinder, front sway bar), but it looks like I'm getting close
to critical mass.  With a little luck, I still might get the truck onto it
this spring/summer.  When the assembly begins, I'll be sure to take lot's of
pics and document the progress on a web page.

Wish me luck-
Ryan.
the wanna-be rod: http://www.geocities.com/ryan_border/0010rfq.jpg