[oletrucks] Re: Mallory distributor

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Mallory distributor
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:30:34 -0800
In my opinion (opinion only), the Mallory stuff of today is of poor quality.
Perhaps their quality had improved in the last 10 years, but I've only
experienced failures with their products (gauges included) in the past (as
well as several other folks that I know).  Of particular comment to the
mechanical one you speak of, a friend and I tried to tune his 261 with one
of those and it just wouldn't run right (troublesome).  We ended up
switching to different vacuum advance dist. resulting in a much better
runner (we figured we probably needed to shave some of the weights, but
didn't want to mess with that - inexperience?).  The original Mallory dual
point vacuum distributor (the one they made in the 50s) for Chev inlines is
a nice unit, though.  Other inliners I know seem to have the same general
comment.  Perhaps it's my inexperience with strict mechanical advance....or
an opinion formed in the 70s and 80s....or I haven't talked to enough
folks?????