Re: [oletrucks] 4 spd question

To: <MLayton324@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 4 spd question
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:49:47 -0800
>on a 50 ad half ton, what is involved in switching from a three speed
column
>shift to a 4 speed floor shift?    thanks
>mike layton

Mike, you take out the old and put in the new.

Seriously, it is very easy.  First, remove the shifter and linkage from the
column.  Second remove the floor plate and disconnect the torque tube.
Third, move your shop crane into the cab and wrap a chain around the 3
speed.  Fourth, unbolt the 3 speed and slide it away from the bell housing.
Keep the chain taut to support the tranny and see my note about pins, below.

If you are using a patrick's kit on the 4 speed, he has all the bolts you
need.  If you are replacing with an orig 4 speed (I have one I'll give you
for the shipping costs, but probably cheaper to buy one locally) use your
original bolts.  Get an extra couple of bolts and cut the heads off to use
as slider pins in the top holes when moving trannies in and out to avoid
damage to clutch mechanism.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Regards,

Grant S