[oletrucks] Re: That radio hole in the dash - an alternative from CCCI..

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: That radio hole in the dash - an alternative from CCCI.....
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:19:58 EST
    Ahem...the Classic Chevy Club International, based down in Florida, has a
converted Sony  ( I think ) radio for a perfect fit into a TF truck dash. It
has some drawbacks, in that the programming selector buttons are hidden by
the dash, but the knobs will still let you tune manually. It's a modern radio
with a customized dash bezel made for the 55-59 Chevy trucks. If you are
willing to put up with that slight quirk, you can have a modern radio in your
classic truck. I've seen one installed, it looks great. I was thinking maybe
they could recess the bezel a 1/2 iinch, so you can reach the buttons with a
poker, but then it'd be harder to see the station selector. Oh well, the dash
is not well suited to a modern radio, so you either have to modify or live
with the drawbacks. But this way, you can have a nice radio that fits
perfectly and works great. It was about $259 or so, last time I'd heard. Not
sure if they still offer it, I have dropped my membership, not having had a
'57 Chevy car on the road in so long, I just couldn't afford the membership
for awhile due to a layoff. But you can probably look them up online, and see
if they still carry it. Another idea is to build a console underneath the
radio area of the dash down to the floor, as long as it didn't interfere with
the shifter ( if you went automatic, no problem, right? ), and make a new
radio mounting area there. There is alot of room there, so I'd think that
might be an option as well. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Jerry Casper
'55 TF Suburban project
www.geocities.com/caspercars