[oletrucks] Radios for TF trucks

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Radios for TF trucks
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 12:14:36 -0700
Thanks again for all the input!  I did a little
investigating into CD changers, and it seems they
all require a separate stereo system in addition to
the changer.  So, I got to thinking about it, and I
have an indash Sony am/fm/cassette player that's
only a few years old, that I took out of my wife's
car when I replaced it with a CD recently.  I took
it apart, and found that it wouldn't be too
difficult to turn it into an oletruck AM/FM radio.
I took out the tape transport (4 screws, 2 wire
connectors, and it's out) and unsoldered the volume
and tuning controls, which I'll relocate outside the
main box with extension wires.  I think I can make a
new faceplate that will fill the hole in the dash
(from behind), and have an opening for the 6 station
preset buttons (a necessity!) and the digital
display.  It should work ok, although Murphy could
apply his laws at any moment....

I can't see spending $300 for a conversion when I
can do it myself for free   :)  Also, I don't need
the tape player in there if I have the CD changer.

Jim F
59s in AZ