[oletrucks] Clutch Solution and OD Update

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <Advdesign1@aol.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Clutch Solution and OD Update
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:25:02 -0600
Thanks to all of you who responded with ideas to fix my clutch problem. I
decided to test my theory that it was something simple rather than something
that required the tranny be pulled for the nth time. For whatever reason...
a) wrong clutch for the truck (but not too wrong).. b) misadjusted or
improperly ground clutch plate from the factory.. c) too thick of clutch
disk.. or whatever, there was simply no way to get a .030 feeler gauge in
the assembly when fully depressed. So, rather than re-inventing the wheel, I
added a .045 washer in between the flywheel and the clutch plate in each of
the 6 bolt holes. This effectively made the gap .040 wider and after
re-adjusting the linkage so that it was adjusted about midrange in the
threads, I now have a perfectly adjusted and perfectly working clutch. I
don't feel bad about this fix since all it does is add more meat to the
clutch plate and as it wears in, there is still a possibility that I can
remove the washers.

Thanks again to all of you who sent me your overdrive section of the TF shop
manual. As soon as I get a mailed version (for clarity) I will be assembling
and shipping out a very comprehensive manual on the Borg Warner R10
Overdrive to each of you. Included will be the original Borg Warner
Operations Manual, Chevy's Shop Manual Overhaul Instruction, A black and
white printed version of the classictruckshops.com overhaul AND wiring
instruction with larger pictures than displayed on the web site. I will be
contacting you soon for your mailing addresses. If any of you have more info
than described above, please get it to me. My long term plan is to make the
whole thing available on my web site in Adobe .pdf format.

I was very successful in overhauling my BW R10 OD replacing all bearings,
bushings, seals as well as giving it a nice primer/paint job. It not only
looks great, but appears to be working very nicely. Anyone facing an
overhaul of this unit, I will be happy to help with any questions or
problems. My present project is wiring it up and thanks to Mike Klepp for
sending me his wiring diagrams and instructions. I have been a list member
for about a year and still ceases to amaze me the spirit of sharing that is
present here. Lets keep this kind of cooperation going at all costs!

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, Kansas
1950 3100 * 1949 3600 * 1948 4400 * 50 3100
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html