[oletrucks] Crazy Idea? body panels

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Crazy Idea? body panels
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:41:37 EST
My brother Brian is thinking about doing sheet metal work on AD and TF cabs
and doors in his spare time to sell . . . you know, replace any and all
rusted panels, fix any dents (he doesn't like to use bondo), and prime with
epoxy primer so that they are ready for final coat . . . knowing him, these
parts would be about perfect.  (He used to run an auto resto business and was
good enough that he had a several year waiting list when he quit it.)  While
I've got the frame/suspension/drivetrain/interior/electrical resto on my sub,
Brian will be doing most of the body work for me.

Any market for something like this--either for cabs or doors?  I would be
concerned that he couldn't recover even his time's worth.   Is this a good
idea or not?  I had heard at one point that someone was working to repro TF
doors but the parts on sale never materialized.

Comments?

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN
58/56 Chevy Suburban 2wd V8 3speed w/OD
59 GMC Suburban V8/Hydramatic looking for a 1/2 ton NAPCO kit