RE: [oletrucks] stupid questions

To: "'varanus@phoenix.net'" <varanus@phoenix.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] stupid questions
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:02:04 -0600
Narrowing a rear end means making the distance between the hubs
smaller.  It involves shortening both the axles and the axle
tubes.  It is usually done so that wider wheels and tires can
be placed inside the wheel wells instead of having them stick
out from under the sheet metal.  Extreme narrowing may also
require "tubbing" (cutting out the inner fender panels and
replacing them with new sheet metal allowing more room on
the back side of the tire.  Depending on original frame
and suspension and degree of narrowing design frame
modification may also be required.

I think one of the list members, Bel Air Bob, has a tri-5
Chevy Bel Air.  Maybe he could measure the distance between
the outside of the frame rails on his car for comparison.