Re: [oletrucks] heater blower

To: Ole Truckers <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] heater blower
From: tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:32:54 -0700 (MST)

An update to a topic from back in November:

Turns out the "heavy duty" voltage reducer from Chevy Duty is only 1 ohm,
and rated for 50 watts.  The heater motor in my truck is about 2 or 2.1
ohm, which, if you do the math, puts about 95 watts through the voltage
reducer.  Mine burnt out after about two months of winter use.

I suppose I can call my local electronics store and have them special
order a 2 ohm, 50 watt power resistor so I don't burn out another
resistor.

(For those of you unfamiliar with the math, in order to cut the voltage
supplied to any load - like the heater motor - in half, you have to
install a resistor in series with the load that has the same resistance as
the load.  The wattage rating for the resistor needs to be the voltage
squared, divided by the resistance -- P = V^2 / R -- for my heater motor,
the power dissipated by the resistor would be 6^2 / 2 = 18 watts, so a
50W-rated resistor would be just dandy.)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, New Mexico Jim wrote:
> Do you have an ohm meter? can you measure the resistance in that
> resistor?  thx
>
> tim wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Jim Nordwall wrote:
> >
> > > Help, its getting cold in Illinois. My 50 has been converted to 12 volt
>and
> > > has an original heater.  I think the blower motor is also original.  It
>will
> > > run on 12 volts, but it seems like it is running too fast.  Can anyone
>tell
> > > me how to check it to find out if it is a 6 volt motor. What size resistor
> > > (ohms and watts) can I put in series with it to keep from destroying it. I
> > > am taking the safe way and assuming it is a 6 volt until proven otherwise.
> > > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > I installed the "heavy duty" voltage reducer from Chevy Duty in-line
> > between the heater switch and the motor after getting my 6V motor rebuilt.
> > A multimeter reading shows that the motor is now getting about 4.5V, which
> > is just dandy.
> >
> > Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org

Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org
"Power that comes from the barrel of a gun can only be effective for a
short time." -The Dalai Lama
"We choose to go to the moon...because that goal will serve to organize
and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge
is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone,
and one which we intend to win." -John F. Kennedy
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it--even if I
have said it--unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common
sense." -Buddha