[oletrucks] exhaust valve/hardened valve seats

To: dpewter@msn.com
Subject: [oletrucks] exhaust valve/hardened valve seats
From: "Alan Lubow" <alosteo@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:51:43 -0700
Doug,  In my opinion it's worth doing things right.  The cost of updating
the head to the hardened valve seats is worth it (if the motor is apart
anyway for a rebuild), in order to be able to use modern gas without
worries.  A machine shop shouldn't have any trouble installing the seats and
the heads aren't that tough to find if there were to be a problem.  When my
motor was apart recently I couldn't believe all the awful deposits left by
the "Octane boosters"  I'd been putting in to protect the valves.  Don't
miss having to add that junk!

Alan
'50 Chevy 1/2 ton pu