[oletrucks] Steering column drop

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering column drop
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:20:47 -0700
I think the original drop on a 55-59 is made of
painted steel...and it's almost 2" if you don't
install the rubber insulator between it and the
column.  You could probably do some minor cutting
and welding to get it to exactly the right size, and
fill in the shifter "hole" while you're at it.

I built a tilt column using 1-3/4" exhaust tubing
and a 68 Buick tilt column guts to put tilt in one
of my 59s, the column looks much better than most
tilt installations.  The aftermarket (iditit, etc)
columns look real nice too, but they're kind of
pricey for someone who is good at tinkering with
that stuff.

Jim F
59s in AZ