[oletrucks] My head, oh my aching head

To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] My head, oh my aching head
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 23:47:36 -0600
Guys,

I wanted to thank all of you for your help in my problem.  Great suggestions
from valve lash, to exhaust blockage, to valve timing, to frozen points, to .
. .   So I did a leak down test and found for some strange reason that the
rings are now bad in my 216.  While pumping air into the cylinders (the leak
down test), it was clear that the leaks were around the rings.

The puzzle:  We tested compression before the valve job that the compression
was about 90 pounds per cylinder, except for number 4.  Now, after the valve
job, the compression is about 50 pounds per cylinder.  Somehow the rings
failed.

I think that I am going to replace the engine.  Should any of you guys want an
engine with a perfect head for $500, just let me know.  The valve job included
everything - hardened seats, bronze inserts in the valve guides, magnafluxing,
etc.  Ping me off list should anyone be interested - the engine is more than
decent and I want to sell it as a long block.

I am discouraged, but not disheartened.

Michael Lubitz
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton, stock
1948 Chevrolet 3100, hot rod