Re: [oletrucks]diesel question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks]diesel question
From: John Dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:01:25 +0800
Brian,

I believe Diesels started as factory engines in the mid 40's. My 1941
GMC maintenance manual lists gas engines up to 477 cubic inches, but no
diesels. However, my 1939-48 parts book lists parts for the detroit
diesel engines. So some where in there they became regular production items.

They were only available in the larger trucks the 39-48 parts book shows
gas engines in anything under the 750 series which came with an optional
4-71 detroit.

AD models had the 4-71 down in the 600 series.

The only diesels available in the pickups were conversion kits by Murphy
diesel. I have never seen one of these, but I saw an old advertisement
for one once.

Just on a side note, every year someone brings a fo*d to our annual
Pioneer Days Show that has a 6 cylinder Deutz diesel engine in it, talk
about a packed engine compartment!

 For more info on our show see http://www.strato.net/~jrdorsey