Re: [oletrucks] Returning list member

To: "Brad Baker" <brad@bradbaker.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Returning list member
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:29:54 -0600
I have the Lincoln SP175 (220) and find it very nice to use but to do just
one truck, the SP125 should be enough. I am sort of a perfectionist, so I
try to get the tools that do the best job. The cutting issue is a hard one.
I use a small air die grinder with 3" cutoff wheel to remove the floor and
panels. It takes alot longer than a torch, but you get good clean edges and
you dont fry the crap out of all the rubber nearby. When I get in a tight
corner, I pull out the air body saw. Its a reciprocating saw with a short
throw and metal cutting blade. When I am at the bench cutting down a patch
panel to fit, I have an electric shear that cuts pretty clean. Then there is
the Makita grinder that is the most important of all. The Makita allows you
to run wire wheels, flap discs, grinding wheels of all grades to get the
finish you desire. Since I dont believe in bondo except for a very very
light skim coat, I use metal for all the filler requirements, the SP175
gives me the control I need to do that. I have never seen an air nibbler in
action so I am not sure of its usefulness. I suspect it might be a nice tool
to have around, but not sure.

Another tool that comes in handy is the air edge flanger.. a tool that puts
a flange on the edge of the work so you dont have to do the more tricky butt
weld. This tool has a head on it that also cuts a nice spot weld hole. I
have used every tool mentioned above many times and there are more on my
wish list. To date, I still dont have a torch and that has caused me extra
hours in grinding and grief. I am a novice at all of this, and to be honest,
I dont like working with metal all that well because I am so unsure of
myself. So far I have replaced all cowl panels offered for the AD's at least
once (except the extra tall full size outer cowl panel) and the tools I have
are pretty much the tools I need. Of course a hack saw and an arc welder
will do all of the above in a pinch! I got most of the air tools from Harbor
Fright and they have held up pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, Kansas
1950 3100 * 1949 3600 * 1948 4400 * 50 3100
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html