[oletrucks] Air compressor no pressure Round 2, TF door disassembly

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Air compressor no pressure Round 2, TF door disassembly
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:21:30 EST
    Well, got the head all cleaned up, the metal reeds and seats are nice and
clean too, had to make some new gaskets myself, Sears is lousy with their
Service and Parts, not stocking that old a part ( apparently a '88
compressor), and can't return the gaskets once ordered, so I just bought a
roll of material and cut some out myself. Got it all reassembled, and fired
it up...got a little bit of pressure coming out, more than before (
absolutely none), but it still won't build any PSI's in the tank. Don't hear
any leaks anywhere, it's pretty quiet when running, so, guess the next thing
is to take the cylinders off and check the rings. Oh well, what do you expect
for bargain used tools? :) Not sure how to tell if the metal reeds are warped
or bent, they appeared straight; when I put my finger across one valve when
running, it makes a loud "farting" sound, when I do the other one ( same
cylinder), it sort of starts lugging, like it's trying to suck air and can't.
So not sure if that means just the reeds are bad, or whether I should try to
look at the rings next. Both cylinders reacted the same way, too. Unless
there's a blockage in the main line into the tank, but it still doesn't lug,
it just runs smooth as silk.
    I brought back one of my TF doors for the Suburban from farm storage,
need to start stripping it down so I can get my bodyman to paint it and do
some minor work on it. I'm slowly making progress now on the 'Burb after 8
years of doing absolutely nothing due to lack of funds and job. I'm happy
it's finally, albeit slowly, making some progress towards finality, although
I suspect it'll be at least another few years before it's ready to roll on
the street again, if then. But maybe by the time I retire...
    I looked at my 'burb when I was down there, it does have the window
moulding with the slot for the glass stop, but all four of the stops are
missing, so not sure what that means, either they're all gone, or they were
never there. I still say you could probably get a Suburban without sliding
glass, but I don't know for sure. Didn't look too close down in the groove to
see if there was some rust or abrasions where the tracks might have been
once. I'll worry with THAT another time. One piece of metal at a time, right
now. Anyway, thanks for all the compressor suggestions, any further
suggestions appreciated.

Jerry
whistlin' in the faint wind in Virginia...