[oletrucks] Need your advice on air conditioning ...

To: "'Oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Need your advice on air conditioning ...
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 15:23:12 -0600
... and this time I'll try not to hit the "send mail"
button prematurely.

I've finally saved enough coin-of-the-realm to put A/C in my
57 GMC 102.  My plan is to do the mechanical installation of
the components and hook up the electrical connections myself.
Then I will take the truck to a local A/C shop to have the
hoses cut to the proper length and connections put on.  The
A/C shop would then charge the system.  The shop I am dealing
with has worked with products from both Vintage Air and
Old Air.  They have no preference which I use.

I've talked to both Vintage and Old.  Both seem helpful.
Because my truck is a GMC, Old Air requires me to send in
my Deluxe Heater control panel for modification (they add
a microswitch to the back that enables the A/C system when
the Inside/Outside lever is in the full left position.
Vintage's system works the same way, but the switch is
on the far end of the cable, requiring no modification
to the stock heater controls.

Old Air is quoting me $970.  Vintage says $1095.  Vintage
sells more product than Old Air does.  In either case I'll
have to fabricate my own compressor mount to fit my stock
GMC (Pontiac) 347" V8.  The compressor they are both
pitching is a Sanden 508.

So, what I am looking for is some first person input from
you OleTruckers.  Anyone have anything especially good
or bad to say about either of these companies, their
products or their service after the sale?