Re: [oletrucks] 51 front-rear

To: "Ken Standbridge" <kstandbridge@huck-fyc.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 51 front-rear
From: "kirk pierce" <kpierce@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:33:01 -0600
Ken,

I took a different approach with my '57.  It has 3.90 factory gears which
was geared too low.  I scrounged around junkyards for muncie transmissions
with overdrive tailshafts for the muncie 3 speed and after finding a couple,
took my 3 speed trans and the tailshafts to a transmission guy.  He built me
a 3 speed manual overdrive which cut my rpm from about 3000 at 70 mph to
about 2100 at 70 mph.   I have been using it this way for about 3 years now
and am not disappointed.  However, I drive it less than 1000 miles per year

Good part of this is that I still have the pulling power of the 3.90 gears,
but with the overdrive I get better mileage and less wear on the engine.