RE: [oletrucks] OVERDRIVE/MILEAGE/ECONOMY?

To: "OLETRUCKS" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] OVERDRIVE/MILEAGE/ECONOMY?
From: "Rob Steinmetz" <rstein@sssnet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 21:57:11 -0500
I added a vacuum gage to my daily driver (89 Taurus SHO) to monitor my fuel
economy.  If I drive the car at 13" of vacuum at all times or higher, I get
26 miles to the gallon.  If I have fun with the car and do things that take
the vacuum to 0, the car gets 25 miles to the gallon.  Bottom line, the gage
is neat to watch, but I wouldn't get too tied up on what it displays going
down the highway.  Granted, the engine may have more vacuum out of
overdrive, but you're also spinning around the engine 20% faster to get this
higher vacuum reading.  You have to fill the cylinders with fuel every other
revolution independent of the vacuum reading.  The slower your engine is
going, the better your mileage should be.  Use it as a gage for acceleration
ONLY, and you'll probably be better off.
Am I way off base here?