RE: [oletrucks] rewiring: was...electrical harness

To: "'THE BROWNS'" <armory@swbell.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] rewiring: was...electrical harness
From: "Schorn, Tim" <SchornT@ci.fort-worth.tx.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:27:42 -0600
Along the same subject line...can anyone tell me how to solder 8 or 10 guage
alternator wire. I am trying to install a new battery wire plug to my
alternator (10ga or maybe 8?). I've heard not to crimp, but always solder
wires to avoid voltage drops from resistance.
    I have a 100w soldering iron. Which type of solder should I be using? I
just can't seem to get the wire hot enough to absorb the solder. What is the
best method for joining the two wires prior to soldering them? Big wire must
take a certain touch, because I've never had any trouble with smaller
guages. Special cleaning needed? I've tried flux and lead-free solder as
well as the leaded variety.
    Thanks in ADvance!!

        Tim in Ft Worth