Re: [oletrucks] Widow-maker grille "guards"

To: SchornT@ci.fort-worth.tx.us, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Widow-maker grille "guards"
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:36:57 EST
In a message dated 03/27/2001 11:33:21 AM Mountain Standard Time,
SchornT@ci.fort-worth.tx.us writes:

<< My question has to do with these huge ramming devices people are putting
 on their newer trucks nowadays. Is anyone aware of any instances where there
 was actually an increase in liability as a result of a rear-end collision
 inflicted by someone after installing one of these weapons? It makes my back
 twinge every time I see one, which is pretty frequent here in Texas. I would
 have been killed in the rear-end collision I was in back in September if the
 truck that hit me had been equipped with one of these. Some of them take 3
 men to install they are so heavy ( the one on my brother-in-law's Dod**
 10-ton dually crew cab.
    So how about it...any experience with increased damage on your truck or
 other vehicle after being hit by one of these urban guerillas?

I don't have any experience with this, but I would like to comment on your
attitude. It seems inappropriate for you to blame the front end of a vehicle
that hits you for the damage it may inflict, it seems rather like blaming the
rope for hanging the criminal. The purpose of those grille guards is to
protect the vehicles they are installed on, and they would seem to do a
pretty good job of it. What experience or experise did you call upon in
deciding that you would have been killed if rear-ended by one of these? I
fear that you may have made a totally baseless assumption, and now you seem
to be testing the waters for possible future lawsuits. You may even be a
lawyer, and if so, probably the kind that advertises on TV about how much you
can be awarded for what lawsuit.
BTW, defensive drivers are rarely rear-ended by anybody, but people looking
to sue somebody for rear-ending them often are. I freely admit that the
previous statements made by me are virtually baseless, except for my personal
30 years of driving experience.