[oletrucks] Hydrovac

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Hydrovac
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 08:30:16 EDT
For the record, 46 was a split year for brake boosters.
early 46 had a mechanical booster which pushed on the brake linkage between
pedal and M/Cyl.  Maybe that is why the big trucks had the M/cyl on the frame
with long rod and 180 deg. pivot.  Small trucks had mast cyl on the bell
housing, so this booster could not be used.  Later 46 started using Hydrovac
which has an air can attached to hydraulic cyl,  placed near the battery on
frame.  Can says "Bendix Aviation Corp".  when working properly you do not
hear air.  If truck is idling when pedal is pressed you might notice engine
rev up a bit as vacuum is pulled on one side of the can.  there is not always
a separate hose with air intake.  Some have a filter built into housing.
There are many sizes and styles which give more or less boost and stroke.
Bob ADler