Re: [oletrucks] Runnin' happy

To: "Jim House" <jhouse@ccsolution.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Runnin' happy
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:56:33 -0700
I always replace the points and condenser at the same time.   I was also
told "long ago" that if you look at the points and seen a metal deposit on
the negative side of the point contact area that indicated the condenser was
going bad and couldn't absorb the current allowing some to arc across the
points wearing them out.   The points just seemed to last longer if I
changed the points and condenser as a set and lubed the distributor lobe to
help reduce the wear on the point contact area and this also reduced the
need to adjust the point gap as often.  I really liked the points "Blue
Streak brand I think" that had the added sponge which provided extra lube to
the distributor cam lobe.  I never liked the look of the ceramic ballast
resistor on the firewall so I ran a resistor coil.  My other solution to the
ignition problems was to make sure the coil was installed up right so the
internal oil was more likely to be around the coils and lessened the chance
of it leaking out.  My last solution to increase point life was to run the
wire that fed the coil through a toggle switch.  If I planned to run the
radio with the key on "engine off "  I would flick the toggle switch to turn
the juice off to the coil just to eliminate current from arcing across the
points.  The added plus to this addition was a kind of anti theft switch.
With the toggle switched their was no juice to the coil so it wasn't going
nowhere!

Joe Garcia