Re: [oletrucks] Last minute prep before going to the machine

To: wschick1@twcny.rr.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Last minute prep before going to the machine
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:52:28 EDT
wschick1@twcny.rr.com writes:

<< List,

 I am getting the block, crank, rods, cam and head ready to take off to the
 machine shop. I see the two plugs on the side and one in the back and one
 for the cam. These all need to come out, right ? There are two more small
 plugs recessed into the block. Do these need to be drilled out ? On the
 British engine I rebuilt, these were brass and you drilled most of them out
 and tapped the remainder for a brass plug. Is it the same. What size hole do
 you drill and what is the thread pitch you tap the hole for ? Also how do
 you remove the dip stick tube ?

 The engine is a 1960 235.

 While I'm at it. The head does not have two oil plugs behind the lifter
 cover, just one in the upper middle. I know all these engines were hydraulic
 by 1960. Did they stop drilling both holes ? I was told the 848 casting was
 the better head to start with because it had improved breathing. But I was
 thinking of running mechanical lifters, and you need the oil line for this.
 Can the head be drilled to add the other end of the oil line ?

 Sorry for the greenhorn type questions. Trying to do most of the work
 myself, with all your help that is.

 Bill Schickling >>

  Bill,

  I've not done a 235 before, but can offer some advice for the block.

  Take note of where all the plugs are.  Have the machinesshop remove them
for you, don't drill out anything..you ru n the risk if getti ng into the the
threadsm and having to oversize the hole and retap...castiron can be finicky
sometimes.

  The machine shop will also remove the cam bearings as well, prior to the
hottank (or kick themselves in the buitt if they don't.

  Pick up new plugs for the block, most should be 1/4 and 1/8th NPT, and when
you get the block back, you'll want to get some long cleaning rods to pass
through the oil passages, after that, spray through with BrakeKleen and
compressed air.

  The oil line you're referring to is to aid oiling the rockers, I believe,
not sure if the hydraulic lifters do a better job of it or not, but if I were
to have my choice, I'd run hydrualics over the mechanical ones anyway.

  Mike