Re: [oletrucks] napa parts list

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] napa parts list
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:22:39 -0600
NAPA generally carries their own line of parts and rebuilt components.
The only AC item they are likely to have is spark plugs, or something
similar.  Their biggest advantage is that they carry a huge range
of parts for all kinds of things with motors in some warehouse somewhere
that they can usually order from overnight or two day delivery, if
they don't have the part in stock.  The general quality and price
of their parts are very reasonable and they have been in the business
for a long time.

Sometimes the part you get from them will function the same, but
may not look the same.  Other times you get a reproduction that is
dead on.

As an example, for the fuel pump, you may get a newer rebuilt version
with a steel bowl on top and a recommendation on an inline filter
instead of a pump with a glass bowl filter on top.

As another example, I needed a distributor cap for a 235.  They gave
me one that was a generic 6 cylinder cap that probably fit a lot
of older Chevy 6 cylnder engines.  It works great and looks just
fine, but the spring clips that hold it on had to be bent a little
to grab the cap securely.  The points, on the other hand, were exactly
like the Delco points that came out.

You would be surprised how many parts from older trucks also show
up on older cars, tractors, and construction equipment.  I think
this is why they seem so successful at being able to get obscure
stuff.

It also helps to have an old car guy behind the counter who is willing
to look stuff up in the old books, or just knows where something
old is stashed.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Thursday, 05 April 2001, you wrote:

>Hopefully you all can help out a newcomer here.
>
>Does NAPA carry ACDelco, or not?  I went looking last week for one
of those
>glass-bowled gas filters (they are very cool!  Got the ACDelco part
number
>of this list.  Thanks!) but the local ACDelco guy said they are
NLA.  Only