[oletrucks] Mystery Motor -- casting dates

To: "Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Mystery Motor -- casting dates
From: "Justin C. Earl" <porkchopzz4@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:22:43 -0400
Okay, on the head I have L 3 9.  So this is December 3rd of 1949 or 1959?  I
can't see the numbers on the block... probably have to wait on that until I
take the starter off and clean things up some.

I don't know if the head may have had a 216 valve cover... the rockers were
held on with just bolts so I don't guess there is anyway to tell if there
used to be a couple of studs?

Also, cast in the head by the serial number is GM22 and under the valve
cover is CON13 if these mean anything.

What would provisions for a side cover look like?  There is nothing like
that on there now.

Thanks for the help!

-Justin Earl
'51 Chevy 3800 dually
Cartersville, GA
Look for casting dates!  They will be something
like:  B 29 2, which translates:  B=Feb, 2nd month;
29=29th day of the month; 2 = last digit of year; if
it has a side cover that goes over the head, then
it's 52 (or 42), if it has no provision for the side
cover on the head, then it's 62.  The block date
code is on the side, usually hiding behind the
starter, you might be able to see it if you look
closely and it's not too grungy.  The head date code
will be on top under the valve cover.  The date
codes are usually rather large nubmers and are cast
in, not stamped.

I think the 235 head will bolt on the 216, but the
side cover may present problems?  it's also possible
someone tapped holes in a 216 head to hold the newer
valve cover?

Jim F
59s in AZ