Re: [oletrucks] rearends for 454, trannys, gear ratios

To: <Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rearends for 454, trannys, gear ratios
From: "R. Welch" <rwelch@ionet.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:56:41 -0500
As I indicated, I got the c-clip eliminator kit from Moser Engineering.
Looked up my invoice and they cost $140, not $100, sorry bad memory,  plus
the cost to have someone press on the bearing for you.  Yes, the axle
housing tube outboard of the flange needs to be trimmed a little but a
sawsall or hacksaw is all that is required.  Before I did the installation
quite a few people I spoke with thought the c-clip kit was a waste of time
and money - but I spoke with two people that did lose axles.  Both were on
classics and both of them incurred damage to their body.  The same people
that told me they were a waste of time on a street car also said that with
rear discs, the caliper would hold the tire/axle on even if the axle failed.
Well, one of the guys who had a failure had a disc brake rearend and he said
the tire and axle wobbled so badly it broke the caliper bracket before he
realized there was a problem.  Why do you think that breaking an axle at the
bearing surface is the only way to lose an axle?

As you mentioned, the c-clip kit solves the axle shaft bearing wear problem,
which is the most likely reason to lose the axle.  Most people spend
anywhere from $5-20,000 on their cars, use grade 8 bolts in places that are
completely unnecessary, modernize their brakes with dual master cylinders,
etc., etc.  $140 is cheap insurance.  Its a personal decision.