Re: Subject: [oletrucks] Suggestion for book on Rochester 1Bs

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: [oletrucks] Suggestion for book on Rochester 1Bs
From: Barrett Revis <snappydog@jackass.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:56:38 -0700
Mike,
I assume you have the shop manual?  That's the best info I've found
on the "B".  Another suggestion is Bill Toboldt's "Fix Your
Chevrolet" (copyright 1955-61), Chilton's "Your Complete Handbook On
How To FIX CHEVROLETS" (copyright 1955), and Rochester Carburetor's
"The ABC's Of Carburetion", a pamphlet that appears to have been
published in '51 or '52 though it appears not to have been
copyrighted.
I will be happy to email you the relevant sections from the above
publications if you wish.  My shop manuals only cover '48 through
'54, but the info on the Model "B" shouldn't have changed between
then and '58, the significant changes occurred between the '51 and
'52 models.  Let me know if you want the section from my shop manual
too.
They say that the Rochester "B" is one of the easiest carburetors
there is too rebuild, and once you know what all the parts are, what
they're supposed to do, and how they're supposed to do it, it all
seems really pretty simple.

As for that leaking, if it's just seeping a little from gasket I'd
adjust the float to spec and if that doesn't do the trick, add a
little to the float drop so the needle valve closes before fuel gets
up to gasket level.

Barrett Revis
Sparks, NV

'53 3105