Re: [oletrucks] Stupid question on Torque Converters?

To: <NTemple46@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Stupid question on Torque Converters?
From: "Gary L. Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:02:56 -0500
Uhhhh, Neal, you work on your truck? A torque convertor is used in any car
with automatic trans. It is used in place of the clutch to disconnect the
engine from tranny. It is hydraulic, running off the trans fluid. It has one
set of turbines that spin with engine all the time it is running and another
one facing it that is connected to the trans. It engages the two turbines by
spinning fast with engine and forcing fluid to drive against other one and
causes it to turn. Some have a lock-up feature to connect solid w/out
slipping once you get to cruise speed. Otherwise it is constantly slipping
as engine or car speed changes and work is added (going uphill or pulling?).
The Library has books on  general auto systems and how they work if you need
to read up on basics. Popular Mechanics mags also have good drawings on how
things work. Any good Auto Textbooks for tech schools will have
explanations, as do most tranny repair books.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN
54 Chevy 2-ton (driver)
50 Chevy COE (project)