RE: [oletrucks] Paint gun

To: "'Ronald I. Givens'" <givens@hal-pc.org>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Paint gun
From: "BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <ryan_border@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:41:35 -0400
Hi Ron-
  A few tips from a VERY amateur painter.  Good paint is expensive.  A cheap
gun that wastes paint saves you no money at all.  For this reason, I like
the HVLP guns, though they require a slightly larger compressor to run
continuously... not an issue if you're only doing small parts.
  My first HVLP gun was an external canister gun, connected with hoses.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=7902

I would not recommend it.  To function, the hose must be full- so you waste
at least that much paint every time you use it.  It does have the advantage
of being able to spray the underside of parts... I figure this would be an
awesome gun, if you were painting an airplane (big surfaces, lots of
upside-down stuff)

Now, I have 2 guns that I use most of the time:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43430
I probably use this gun the most.  I shoot all my primer coats with it.  It
seems to function fine, and would make a good starter unit.

And,
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodmall/charts/hvlp/devilbiss_flg631.html
(hmmm, apparently no longer sold by harbor freight)
which I use for my final color and clear coats.  I like this gun a lot, but
to be honest, maybe that's because I'm always shooting better paint with it
;-).

I like the top-feed guns, again because you can shoot every last drop of
paint, and they're very easy to clean.  The Finish line gun especially, has
a nice feature where you line the cup with a plastic bag, before filling it
with paint.  Makes cleanup a breeze- and on your gun you shoot final coats
with, you really want to be sure it's always very very clean.

As others have pointed out, the more practice you can get, the better.

Ryan.