Re: [oletrucks] Our Easter Trip (looong)

To: "craig k" <vwbus@ckoon.org>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Our Easter Trip (looong)
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:33:19 -0700
Craig,

Great Story!!!

I can relate to the safety space for slowing down and the people that see it
as just enough room for them to squeeze in........"At the last minute".  I
can tell you that in the early 80's before I really Rodded my truck, it had
a mild V-8 with a straight axle and all drum brakes.  I did my share of fast
driving and made it a point to leave that space for braking but their was
always that Fool who cut in there.  Well, at first they would  be looking in
there rear view mirror to see my reaction to their maneuver but then it was
my turn to look at their facial expressions as I tried to slow my truck down
before decorating there plastic car with some real American steel.  I was
lucky enough to have never been in an accident "knock on wood" and the
people that I barely missed made it a point to not have me behind them
before they came to the next stop just in case.

Oh,  I happen to have that formula here as I was getting ready to add it to
a page I'm going to be added to my website.    This information that I found
tells you how calculate for engine rpm and mph.  It also has a quick little
chart that so you can see what your rpm's will be at 60 mph based on your
tire size and rearend ratio.  So you can see really easy how a change to a
taller or shorter tire will change your rpm's.   I would have calculated it
for you but you have to know the diameter of the tire.

RPM X TIRE DIAMETER
DRIVE RATIO X 336

WHERE "336" IS SIMPLY A CONSTANT TO CONVERT TIE TIRE DIAMETER TO  THE LINEAR
DISTANCE THE TIRE TRAVELS.