[oletrucks] Canceling signal lights

To: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Canceling signal lights
From: "Blaine & Maggie Dumkee" <bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 22:22:40 -0700
Bill / list

I having trouble getting my self canceling signal lights to work on my 59
GMC 1/2 ton. Last fall I posed this question and Bill helped me out and very
reasonably sold me a some good used parts.

Now I have finally gotten garage space back now that warmer weather is here
and I am looking at the problem.

My signal lights work but will not self cancel after turning a corner. Now
where I think the problem may be: when I purchased the truck many moons ago,
it was in the process of having a smaller aftermarket steering wheel
installed. I finished the job and got the horn working, all was fine because
I was unsure if my truck should even have self canceling signal lights.
Looking down into the column with the steering wheel removed there is a thin
metal strip on the left side of the column that appears to put pressure on
the self canceling mechanism. But my hub that the steering wheel bolts to
does not have a cam or ???? to trip this thin metal bar when it would rotate
back to center after a corner.

Can someone tell me if I am on the right track?

Blaine Dumkee
1959 GMC 9314
Fort Smith NT