Re: [oletrucks] 216 Compression

To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 216 Compression
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 11:17:44 -0500
Barrett,

>From vast experience - chances are you have bad valves.  The best way that I
found to check this to be sure exactly what it is, is to do a "leak down
test".  I know that Snap-on makes this tester so I'll assume that others do,
too.  The "wet test" that you did is a good indication that it is the
valves, especially if you haven't tinkered with the engine for a while to
mess up the cam or cam "alignment" in any way.  I think that the fact that
the compression was so close wet or dry shows this.

This test involves putting air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole
and listening to how or where it exits.  For example, if the exhaust valves
are bad (after closing the intake and exhaust valves by loosening the valve
adjusting screws and/or moving the crank to the position that closes these
valves) then you will here the air coming from the tail pipe.  If the intake
are bad, then the air can be heard coming from the carb.  If the rings are
bad, listening to the end of the piece of surgical tubing put into the
dipstick hole will allow you to hear the air escaping.

Keep in touch.  I am happy to help more if you need.

Michael Lubitz
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton, stock
1948 Chevrolet 3100, hot rod
Austin, Texas