Re: [oletrucks] Polishing stainless steel

To: <Pastorjon994@cs.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Polishing stainless steel
From: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 22:03:06 -0400
Hello, Jon!  Sorry to be so late in getting back to you on polishing
stainless steel.  I've been out of town for a few days and just got around
to reading my email.

The stainless I polished was the center piece on my Fulton outside visor.
It had been painted over and looked awful.  I didn't even know it was
stainless until I stripped the paint off.  The stainless center piece had
several very rough places on it......looked like the PO had rough sanded it
in order to make the paint stick.  I thought the only thing we could do
would be repaint it.  However, the guy who was helping me paint the visor
builds street rods and he knew exactly what we needed to do.  He had me sand
the stainless with 120 or 180 grit paper to get the really rough places out.
Then, I started sanding with 320 grit.  Then on to 1000 grit for the final
sanding.  By the way, I wrapped the sandpaper around a section of a paint
stick (stirrer) to get a consistent flat surface.  (As you probably know,
using just your fingers makes ridges.)

Once the sanding was done, I used a buffing wheel with special rouge meant
especially for stainless steel.  (It was dark gray.)   Then I used the white
rouge for fine polishing.  Turned out great.  It looks almost like new
chrome.  I had no idea stainless could be sanded, and I was amazed at how
you can turn a rough piece into a nice looking one.  A buffing wheel is a
must.  Never could have buffed out the sanding without the wheel.

Jon, just let me know if you need any more info.
Tom Caperton
47-2nd 3100....in Whiteville, NC
tcape@weblnk.net