[oletrucks] I Hate Brakes!

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] I Hate Brakes!
From: "Ed Gaito" <ed_gaito@webtrix.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:35:11 -0400
Ran down to the local NAPA and was happy to match up the brake cylinder for
the mystery rear on my '50 GMC.  Put everything back together, with the
usual "dance of the springs" performance that accompany's any brake work I
do....

Now, it's time to bleed the system, though the truck is convinced that it is
me that should do all of the bleeding.  Using a vaccuum bleeder, I've sucked
fluid from all four wheels until all of the ugly brown stuff is gone and the
new, clear stuff is running, but cannot get pressure to the brake pedal.  A
had a spongy pedal at one point, bled again to get rid of it and now have no
pedal again.

Is there some trick to bleeding these things?  Am I letting the resevoire
get too low?

On a similar note, it appears the master cylinder is ready for a rebuild or
replacement.  With my goal being a driver, not a true resto, I'm looking for
opinions on whether or not it is worth it to rebuild or replace the
original, or should I be looking toward a conversion to something more
modern?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

PS...some time ago, someone mentioned they had a part number for the rear
parking brake cables that had the "push-in fingers" style of entry into the
wheel.  Anyone got it and willing to share?  The guy at NAPA just looked at
my NOS replacement and the connecter I pulled out of the wheel backing plate
and said he didn't have anything that big.

She may have won today's round, but the fun is just beginning!

Thanks again,

-Ed