RE: [oletrucks] Brake lights

To: "'Pastorjon994@cs.com'" <Pastorjon994@cs.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Brake lights
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 07:52:53 -0500
1.  Have someone push the brake pedal while you watch the
        switch.  Did the lever on the brake switch move?
        If not (and you trust the person pressing the
        brake pedal) try moving the lever by hand.  If
        the lights come on you need a new brake light
        switch.  If you are extremely cheap (yes I admit
        to doing this) you can actually open up the
        switch and find the little broken spring inside.
        Many hardware stores sell spring wire.  Find
        some of about the same diameter and wind your
        own, put it in the switch, reassemble and
        you are on the road for less than a dollar.

2.  Assuming the switch lever moves and the lights
        still do not come on, remove both wires from the
        switch and use a paper clip, a small piece of
        wire or some other device to short the two
        wires together.  If the brake lights come on
        replace the switch (or open it up as in step
        one and see if you can clean up the contacts).

3.  One of these wires (sorry, I don't have a schematic
        with me) should have battery voltage on it at all
        times.  If not, work your way towards the battery
        to find the open circuit.

4.  Are the turn signals from the factory?  If so
        the brake light circuit goes through the
        turn signal switch.  A mis-adjusted turn
        signal switch can cause grief with the brake
        lights, but they are usually not dead on both
        sides.