[oletrucks] New to List, New to Trucks

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] New to List, New to Trucks
From: "Ed Orbea" <orbea@tscnet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 19:46:03 -0700
I am new to the list and this question has probably been asked hundreds of
times before, but as a new participant,it is my turn to ask again.

I just recently purchased a 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window pickup. I  purchased it
through a gentleman I met at the recent Portland Swap Meet. I currently own
(besides my daily drivers) a 1923 Ford T-Bucket Roadster and a 1969 Chevelle
SS-396 Coupe. I purchased the pickup for two reasons:
(a) My dad had a 1953 pickup while I was growing up
(b) I wanted a truck that I could use to tow the T-Bucket to car shows. (Two
people + baggage in a T-Bucket, just don't make it).

Currently the truck has a 1962 6-cylinder, 4-speed with "granny gear" and is
for the most part original. I want something with more torque than the
6-cylinder and since 350 small blocks are very common, I will probably install
a 350/350 combination. My question(s) are in regard to chassis and
suspension.

(1) Should I install a Camaro/Monte Carlo front clip, or a Mustang II front
clip, or just replace the kingpins, new springs, etc
(2) Should I install a 10-bolt or 12-bolt Chevy rearend or just use a 9-inch
Ford rearend
(3) Regardless of whicj rearend I go with, should I install a 4-link rear
suspension

I know that everybody will have various opinions and/or preferences, but I am
looking for opinions and the pros and cons of each.

All help / comments will be appreciated.

Thanks