[oletrucks] Air Compressor/Electric Motor (Off Topic.. Topic Nazi's dele

To: "Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Air Compressor/Electric Motor (Off Topic.. Topic Nazi's delete
From: "Justin C. Earl" <porkchopzz4@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 21:16:53 -0400
Hi all!

Speaking of air compressors....

I have a 1940's Curtis air compressor that I have been rebuilding.  It is
HUGE (cast iron dual stage with a 60 gallon tank).  The only thing left to
crank it up is I need the motor I have repaired.  It is a 3 hp, 220V single
phase electric motor with a 184T frame and capacitor start (2 capacitors).
When I got it and tried to run it, it would start to turn like it was under
load for a few seconds and then blow the circuit.  I checked the capacitors
and one of them was a 110V capacitor and leaking on top of that.  I finally
got new capacitors from Grainger and tried it (thinking it would work
beautifully) and no luck.. it did the exact same thing (and there was even a
spark from inside the motor somewhere for a split second).

It is 17.5 amp under load and I tried to run it (with no load) on a 20 amp
circuit just to see if it works.  Once I get it working I'll run it through
a 30 amp breaker on the panel.  But with no load, it *should* run for more
than a couple seconds on a 20 amp breaker, right?

Any ideas on what to check?  I've got a total of $120 invested in this
compressor and a new motor is at least $290 plus shipping.  I'd much rather
spend that money on parts for the truck and tools.

For that matter, anyone got a 220V motor, at least 3hp or higher, that they
want to sell?

Sandblasting my frame is going to be my first project after disassembling so
I really need this compressor running soon.

Thanks for the help!

-Justin Earl
'51 Chevy 1 ton dually
Cartersville, GA