Re: [oletrucks] 60s chev rearend -a I wonder

To: ME1STKING@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 60s chev rearend -a I wonder
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:08:19 -0400
This happens all the time. I have found it on several rear ends that I have
taken apart for the race car. I think someone has either broken it taking
it out or replacing it. It usually breaks right after the threaded part.
You can get the lock pin out by using a very thin rod magnet or magnetized
screwdriver. If the rear end is out you can stand it up on one axle and the
pin end should drop out. I see no problem with it being broken and left in
place as the threaded part holds it in place. And the small (lock) pin will
hold the main (spider gear pinion shaft) in the spider gears. As long as
everything else is tight I would not suspect any vibration caused it. But
you can look at the pinion shaft pin and see if there is any wear marks or
scored areas where the spider gears rotate.
Rogerg

                    ME1STKING@aol.com

                    Sent by:                    To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                    owner-oletrucks@auto        cc:

                    x.team.net                  Subject:     [oletrucks] 60s
chev rearend -a I
                                                wonder

                    06/06/01 12:00 AM

                    Please respond to

                    ME1STKING

[In the prosses of removeng the axels] There is that solid cylinder pin
that
holds the nessasary tension on the U clips and the axeles.  The smaller
bolt/pin that anchors the solid cylinder in place broke off at the end of
the
threads[about half way]. It must have been well on the way before I got to
it,because it came the first half with very little resistance.and then
broke
while working it out with fingers.
QUESTION STARTS HERE;
Does this break indicate a vibration or tention/pintch or any other
concievable problem I should worry about? Perhaps the last guy just over
did
it. Thanks.