[oletrucks] cab corners

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] cab corners
From: "Jim Nordwall" <jnord@fgi.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:37:44 -0500
I have started doing the body work on the back of my cab.  As I expected,
the cab corners are gone. Once I removed the POs attempt at a repair
(galvanized sheet metal, pop rivets, and bondo) I knew I was in for a good
time.  I purchased cab corners from Chevy Duty and I am very pleased with
the quality. I used a sheet metal wheel on a die grinder and cut away the
rust.  I cut away everything but a 1" lip for the patch panel. This looks
like a large amount of MIG welding.  Several months ago there was some
discussion about using an epoxy and gluing cab corners in place. Did anyone
do it yet and if so what do I need to know before I try it.  We use PC7
Epoxy where I work to glue fitting on 6" aluminum pipe, I have never seen
one come apart.

Second Question: What should I do with the seam at the back of the cab where
the top and bottom pieces of the cab meet. I can easily get rid of the
surface rust. I don't think it requires welding. I have no desire to fill it
with lead.  Looks like a good application for paste epoxy?

Third Question: What do I do with the rain gutters around the doors?  I
don't really want to remove them, but I'm not happy with the small gaps
between the gutter and the body. Welding this is out of the question. Will
bondo hold as long as I get rid of ALL the rust and use a rust neutralizer
first? What have other people done?

Thanks,

Jim Nordwall
50 3100