[oletrucks] Insert bearing changing

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <oldcoetrucks@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Insert bearing changing
From: "Gary L Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:34:48 -0500
I'm interested in finding written info on changing from babbit to insert
bearings on 216's and 235's. Is there some books someone can lead me to or
suggest? If you change rods do they still use the splash/scoop method to oil?
There is NO pressure feed to them, right? Mains still require shimming? Are
they left alone? Can I just check clearances on bearings and journals of crank
w/out actual replacement and adjust by removing shims and get away with that?
Do the cams in these usually need replacement? Should I  use new lifters on
old cam? Should timing gears always be replaced if metal? I've only rebuilt
one engine in my life,a 4cyl Jeep and it did run again, but I'm afraid of
trying this engine and messing up, may have local shop do the short block for
me. He would do all the machining either way anyway, just me assemble. My
other choice is the late 50's 235 I have if I can find a COE manifold for it,
difficult as it seams.

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
50 Chevy COE (project)