RE: [oletrucks] Oxyacetylene cutting torch adjustment

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Oxyacetylene cutting torch adjustment
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:04:51 -0600
It's pretty simple, really, and safe if you follow the rules.

I'm assuming you have proper goggles, gloves, clothes, and a safe place to
use the torch, and have had some basic training with it.  I am also
assuming your tanks are upright and secured to a wall or cart that will
keep them from tipping over.  If the oxygen tank tips over and breaks the
valve off, it will fly like a rocket for a mile or so.

I'm also assuming you know the safe way to open the valves on the tanks
etc., but just a refresher.

1.  Unscrew both regulators. (0 pressure setting)

2.  Open the oxygen tank valve all the way.  This is a backseating valve
and works best if it is wide open.  Listen for hissing, etc.  Don't stand
in front of the regulator adjusting lever or knob.  There is a way that the
regulator can fail and spit the thing straight out at you.  The oxygen tank
pressure is anywhere up to 2000 psi depending on how full it is.

3.  Open the acetylene tank 1/4 turn and leave the wrench on the valve.
This is so that you can turn it off fast if you need to.  This will give
you all the gas you need.  The acetylene pressure should be between 10 and
20 PSI depending on how cold it is.  The acetylene itself is actually
dissolved in acetone soaked concrete inside the tank.

4.  Open the acetylene valve on the torch (the red one).  Adjust the
regulator until it reads 5 PSI out.  Close the acetylene valve on the
torch.  The pressure at the regulator should not climb above 7 PSI or so.

5.  Open both oxygen flame valves on the torch (the green ones).  The one
closest to the tip is the one you use to regulate the flame.  The other one
is for a welding torch and it should be wide open.  Adjust the oxygen
regulator to 20 PSI.  Close the adjusting valve on the torch.  The
regulator pressure should not climb above 23 PSI or so.

To light the torch after this has been done:

6.  Crack the acetylene valve on the torch open until you can hear it
hissing a little.

7.  Light the torch with a striker.  You should have a smoky yellow flame.

8.  Adjust the acetylene until the smoke is gone.

9.  Open the oxygen valve on the torch until a blue flame appears and turns
ragged.  Close the valve until the raggedness disappears.  You should have
a totally blue flame with six bright blue inner flames and one long darker
blue outer flame.

10.  Hit the burning lever for a shot to make sure it is working OK.

There are different size torch tips for different thicknesses of metal.
Get the right size one for the metal you are cutting.  If the tip is too
small, there will not be enough heat to cut the metal.  If it is too large,
the cut will be ragged.  Do not force a small tip to cut thick metal by
turning up the gas or oxygen.

To cut metal with flame (ugh!)

11.  The six small flames are preheat flames.  Orient the torch so that one
will be leading the way.

12.  Hold the torch square to the metal surface.  The tips of the small
flame should be just above the surface.

13.  You will see a small puddle of molten metal form on the surface.  Hit
the oxygen lever and the cutting will begin.

14.  Move the torch slowly and steadily and you will cut the metal.  Some
people like to keep a piece of angle iron around for cutting straight
lines.  Be careful you don't cut your hose or blow sparks where they can
cause a fire.  Do not use the oxygen as a blow gun or to put a fire out.
Do not spray it at yourself.  Pure oxygen can spontaniously ignite oil or
grease at room temperature.

To shut the flame off:

15.  Turn off the oxygen valve on the torch.

16.  Turn off the acetylene valve on the torch.

To put the tanks to bed.

17.  Close the oxygen valve on the tank.

18.  Close the acetylene valve on the tank.

19.  Bleed down the oxygen with the torch (unlit) until the guages read 0 PSI.

20.  Bleed down the acetylene with the torch (unlit) until the guages read
0 PSI

21.  Back off the regulator on both tanks.

22.  Wrap the hoses up neatly and put the system away.

There, that was easy, wasn't it.  Practice until it becomes second nature.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN