[oletrucks] Rust converter

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rust converter
From: "Gary L Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:45:23 -0500
I have old truck frames that I'm finding too expensive to have blasted. I have
them cleaned up and scraped off the grease and used engine cleaner to kill the
oil/grease film on certain places. In the past I have just used my angle
grinder with a knot brush in it and sandpaper to clean up the frames and just
painted over them with primer and paint. It does start rusting thru after
awhile of using truck on roads all year. I have heard of POR15, didn't like
the price and no stores have it. I did find a product by Mar-hyde called One
Step rust converter #3513. It's watery and looks like milk. I have used other
easy to find products that looked the same, but were no good if they got wet.
They needed painting over to stay on and could wash away with water if not
painted. Extend was it's name. This does not say you have to paint it, but
does say you can paint it after 12 hrs. It does need rust to work, not
reccommended for clean metal. It cost my $27 for this little qt. Anyone ever
see this cheaper? The Auto store I bought it at is never cheap, but have best
counter guys. It goes on like water, so goes quite far, but I feel I may need
more to do frame. I'm trying to get my blaster working to blast frame, not
having much luck with it. If I do blast, I will just prime and paint normally.
I have done the x-over that I am putting in from another frame and it turned
black right away. I will check tommorrow and see how it looks on that part. I
got it on my hands and it did stick there quite well. Nuff said!

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN 46750
50 Chevy COE (project)
55 GMC COE (project)