[oletrucks] I've messed up - AGAIN...

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] I've messed up - AGAIN...
From: "Lyle Castens" <redsfast@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 08:33:53 -0400
(53-3100, 350 small block, Turbo 350 tranny)

I had "fried" the Gas gauge during the 12 v conversion... and I needed to
change both the Temp and Oil gauges to better monitor my 350 small block...
After several conversations and listening to this list's intelligent advice on
the subject, I ordered a replacement "full cluster"...  BUT... being just a
little cheap (...well, damn near "broke"), I chose to order only a Refacing
kit for the speedometer, since it was functioning properly prior to "rehab"
and only needed some clean-up and new decals... Since the all the parts were
"in stock", I began immediate disassembly and prep of the speedo... then had
to put it aside for almost 45 days for the "supposedly in stock" parts to
arrive.

Now, that I'm finally reassembling the speedo, I guess I've completely lost my
memory, or I didn't pay enough attention to detail during disassembly - seems
now that the shaft for the needle operates in reverse (90 mph to 0) rather
than the correct way... Tension on the spring for this shaft is "tight", when
physically turned to "normal Zero mph", and when completely "relaxed" tension,
spring rotates shaft into "90 mph" position (all these views are looking at
the speedo assembly from the front, as you normally would if mounted in the
dash)... This is confirmed when running "through" the speedo cable with a
drill on the transmission connector...  What am I missing here - Did the
transmission that fell on my head really do some damage... am I having one of
my daughter's "blonde" moments... or should I just give up and buy the
replacement speedo to match my other new cluster... My brain is older than the
truck - maybe I should be restoring it first, rather than simultaneously with
the truck... (as long as I'm admitting my failures, I also ordered a new
speedo cable... for the original engine and trans... DUH... now I've got a new
cable that won't reach my turbo-350... any suggestions on which cable I
"really" need... I feel that headache coming back...)

Thanks in advance

53-3100 rod in progress